Northern Lights tour in Small Groups
Gateway to Iceland prides itself with a high success rate on viewing the Aurora when conditions were favorable. We do not make trips unless conditions are right. So go with the professionals at Gateway to Iceland to view this magnificent natural light show in Iceland.
- The Northern Lights Tour is operated every day when the conditions are right, including weather, clouds and solar activity. We appraise the situation daily, and, before we make a decision on whether we go or not, we look at all the latest data and weather reports. We only go out when we think there is a good chance to see the lights. Sometimes the weather or solar energy is just not favorable (on average we cancel about 40% of the time).
- The best thing to do is sign up for a Northern Lights Tour well in advance, and for the beginning of your visit, which gives you leeway in case conditions are not favorable on your preferred night. When making a booking, you will be asked to put up to two backup dates. In case of cancellations we will automatically forward your booking to the next night’s pickup list according to your backup dates submitted. We guarantee seats for two backup dates. If the tour would be canceled more than those two days, please contact us by phone or email to check the availability.
- If you go out on tour with us and no lights are seen, you will receive a Northern Lights ticket that can be used for one of the following:
- One free Northern Lights tour with us***
- Free admission to the Aurora Reykjavík Museum
- 2000 ISK discount on a day tour operated by Gateway to Iceland
***If you decide to go with us again on the Northern Lights tour, you must contact us as soon as possible and let us know when you would like to go again so we can reserve your seats (Your original backup dates you gave us when you booked the tour are considered void at this point and will not be used to automatically re-book you. They are only used for rescheduling in case your first trip is canceled). Contact us about each night you would like to do the second trip. Please note, once you go on a northern lights tour, no refund is possible even if you do not see the northern lights or do not use your ticket in one of the ways as described above. You can always keep your ticket for your next visit to Iceland!
- For more detailed information regarding rules of tours, please see our Terms and conditions.
- Please make sure to verify the tour is going ahead on the very day of the tour, choose from the following options:
- WEBSITE: At 6:30 pm each day we will post it on our website if we need to cancel the tour.
- HOTEL – FRONT DESK: After 6:30 pm each day we will send notices to hotels
- PHONE: After 6:30 pm give us a call; +354 534-4446.
Price for a regular tour is 8.900 ISK per person
Private Northern Lights LUXURY TOUR
- 1-4 people – Price 99.000 ISK per trip (not per person)
- 5-7 people – Price 105.600 ISK per trip (not per person)
This is your own little private tour. The same “rules” apply as listed above, we won’t take you out unless the conditions are right. Hot chocolate, coffee, and baked goods included. You can also opt out of Luxury and book only a Private Northern Lights tour without the refreshments for (1-4 people – 89.800 ISK /5-7 people – 93.600 ISK). For bigger groups or other private tours, please see our Private Tours HERE.
To book Private Northern Lights tour, use this booking form, send us email, or call us.
Other pickup times according to daylight hours
- November – January between 8:00 – 8:45 PM
- October & February between 8:30 – 9:15 PM
- September, March & April between 9:00 – 9:45 PM
BOOK your tour WELL IN ADVANCE. The tours are selling out very quickly.
Frequently asked question:
Can we do Northern Lights tour after a day tour? Is there enough time?
– Yes you can do the Northern Lights tour after Hot Golden Circle, South Shore or Snæfellsnes. It conflicts only with the Glacier Lagoon tour.
Getting ready for Northern Lights tour?
Get 10 Useful Tips How to Take Photos of Northern Lights here.
Free second trip if we go and Mother Nature does not cooperate (give us a call to reserve your seat!) or a ticket to the Aurora Reykjavik Center. Please call Gateway to Iceland to reconfirm or have your hotel contact Gateway to Iceland to ensure that the tour is scheduled to operate. All tours require a minimum of 5 participants in order to operate. Gateway to Iceland reserves the right to delay, alter or cancel any tour due to weather or any other unsafe conditions for the safety of our clients. We provide full refund if the tour is cancelled and you never get to go out on tour.
The last departure of this winter season is scheduled for April 15th, 2017. If this tour is cancelled, there is no option for re-booking for the following nights. If the departure on April 15th goes ahead and no lights are seen, there is no option for a free second trip in the following days, the customers can use their second free option on their next visit of Iceland.
Please note, there are no Northern Lights tour operating on December 24th (Christmas Eve).